Nearly 424,000 people have been affected by a storm that destroyed homes, hospitals, and schools across five regions
Cyclone Gezani has killed at least 59 people in Madagascar and forced over 16,000 residents from their homes, the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management (BNGRC) reported on Monday.
The agency said 15 people are still missing and 804 injured, and that about 424,000 people have been affected by storm damage.
Madagascar’s government declared a state of national disaster on February 14 in response to the cyclone’s widespread destruction.
A provisional damage assessment released by the BNGRC shows that 25 districts in five regions – Atsinanana, Analamanga, Analanjirofo, Itasy and Alaotra Mangoro – were impacted by Cyclone Gezani. The report said thousands of homes were damaged or destroyed, with some areas reporting severe infrastructure loss, including hospitals and schools.
© BNGRCCyclone Gezani was an intense tropical cyclone when it struck the island state in the Indian ocean, with sustained winds reported near 185 km/h and gusts up to about 270 km/h, which caused heavy rains and significant flooding in several districts, making some roads completely impassable.
This EUMETSAT satellite video grab released on February 11, 2026, shows Cyclone Gezani making landfall on east coast of Madagascar. © EUMETSAT via APThe UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) noted on Friday that the storm had moved into the Mozambique Channel and could affect central and southern Mozambique, “with a possibility that it might curve back toward Madagascar’s south-west coast.”
Just days before Gezani struck, Madagascar was hit by another storm. Tropical Cyclone Fytia made landfall on January 31, causing widespread flooding in north-western Madagascar and triggering a humanitarian response, the OCHA reported.
10 Şubat 2026 Toamasina Madagaskar ??Gezani Tropikal Fırtınası ? t.co/ItOJIe9yzA pic.twitter.com/Myd5mjpHiE
— Hermes (@hermesisos) February 10, 2026“As of 6 February, 12 deaths were reported, more than 31,000 people displaced and over 200,000 affected across 35 districts in nine regions, with Boeny Region the worst affected,” the UN agency stated.
© BNGRCSevere flooding has hit parts of southern Africa last month after weeks of heavy rain, with Mozambique one of affected countries. Floodwaters caused rivers to overflow, prompting the government to declare a Red Alert on January 16 and appeal for humanitarian assistance.
READ MORE: Catastrophic floods hit Mozambique (VIDEO)
In South Africa, flooding hit Limpopo and Mpumalanga provinces after weeks of rain, killing at least 30 people, damaging thousands of homes, and forcing evacuations, including from Kruger National Park.
Hence then, the article about powerful cyclone kills dozens in madagascar photos video was published today ( ) and is available on Russia Today ( News ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Powerful cyclone kills dozens in Madagascar (PHOTOS/VIDEO) )
Also on site :
- Inside Iran’s Preparation for War and Plans for Survival
- I tried Harry Styles’s favourite shoes as a mid-40s dad – my daughter was horrified
- Kid Rock Predicts God Will ‘Cut Down’ Journalists for Reporting (Accurately) That He Is Charging Up to $5,000 for Tour Tickets