The announcement Israel would open up tenders for the construction of some 1,200 settlement homes in the West Bank has drawn fresh international outcry.
For decades, Israel has held off on pushing ahead with plans to construct the E1 settlement to the east of Jerusalem as Palestinian advocates insisted the land was essential to the formation of a future independent state.
However, the rise of hard-right, pro-settlement members of Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet has increasingly seen pressure mount on the Israeli Prime Minister to sign off on the project.
Construction tenders were finalised in January, prompting a legal challenge from Palestinian residents and Israeli peace groups, with Israel’s government announcing bidding for the right to build 1,234 of the 3,401 planned housing units was officially opening on Wednesday.
How has the project been received?
The UK, France, Germany, Italy, and Canada were quick to condemn the settlement tenders, branding the move “unacceptable”.
“We urge the government of Israel to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank,” the governments of all five nations said in a joint statement on Thursday.
“Not only will they take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel’s international standing.”
Egypt and Jordan also condemned Israel’s move.
In separate remarks, Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband threatened “a comprehensive set of measures” in response to the plan, which he branded “an unacceptable and destructive act”.
“Britain will not stand back and accept the destruction of the two-state solution,” he added.
Within Israel, though, the decision has been hailed by pro-settlement groups and hard-right members of Israel’s government.
Those included Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who hit back at Miliband’s “threats” as he emphasised what he described as Israel’s right to “realize our historic and biblical right to our ancestors’ land”.
Smotrich, who has been sanctioned by several international governments over his support for the Israeli settler movement and calls for violence against Palestinians, has previously told Israeli media the E1 project “practically erases the two-state delusion”.
Why is Israel pushing ahead right now?
The timing of Wednesday’s announcement was significant for several reasons.
It comes as Israel’s government continues its operations in Gaza and parts of southern Lebanon, despite a ceasefire having been agreed in both regions, as it works to eliminate Iranian proxy groups Hamas and Hezbollah.
Despite some recent tension between Netanyahu and United States President Donald Trump, Israel has enjoyed broad support for its actions from its most important ally, emboldening its government despite fierce criticism of both conflicts from other nations.
Netanyahu faces a general election on 27 October, with lingering anger among Israelis over his government’s failure to prevent Hamas’ 7 October massacre a serious threat to his chances of re-election (Photo: Nathan Howard/AFP)The US has also spoken out against efforts by the International Criminal Court to investigate the conduct of Israel’s military in Gaza and the current ambassador to Israel, Mike Huckabee, has previously voiced support for settlements in the West Bank.
While Huckabee did recently issue a stinging rebuke to one group of settlers who besieged the home of a Palestinian family, he has largely failed to call out the rapid expansion of settlements overseen by the Netanyahu government since his appointment.
Beyond being emboldened by support from the Trump administration, advancing the project fulfills a key political objective for Israel’s Prime Minister.
Netanyahu faces a general election on 27 October, with lingering anger among Israelis over his government’s failure to prevent Hamas’ 7 October massacre a serious threat to his chances of re-election.
Israel’s Prime Minister currently depends upon the support from Smotrich’s RZP–Otzma party, whose supporters overwhelmingly back the settler movement, to hold government and analysts say his re-election could hinge on holding onto support from hard-right voters.
In addition to cementing his legacy as Israel’s longest-serving Prime Minister, Netanyahu is also desperate to avoid the conclusion of a major corruption trial, which has been repeatedly delayed, that could potentially result in prison time or a suspended sentence.
Ensuring the establishment of E1 before voters go to the polls could provide Netanyahu with a timely boost, even in the face of global condemnation.
Hence then, the article about why condemnation is unlikely to halt israel s settlement push was published today ( ) and is available on inews ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Why condemnation is unlikely to halt Israel’s settlement push )
Also on site :
- Watch Sheryl Crow Surprise Fans With New ‘Cars’ Song ‘Built to Last’ Ahead of Spin-Off Disney Jr. Series
- 1972 Hit Song, Featured in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ and ‘Almost Famous,’ Became One of the ‘Greatest Singles of All Time’
- Best-Selling Author’s New Novel, the Latest From the ‘Queen of Twists,’ Ranked Among Amazon’s Most Read Books