The director general of the World Health Organization has said he is deeply concerned about the scale and the speed of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said there had been at least 500 suspected cases of Ebola and 130 suspected deaths in DRC since the new outbreak began. Thirty cases had been confirmed in DRC’s north-eastern province of Ituri, and one death and one case had been confirmed in Kampala, Uganda, he added. In addition, he said, there was “one US citizen confirmed positive and transferred to Germany, as reported by the US”.
“These numbers will change as field operations are scaling up, including strengthening surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing,” Tedros told members of the World Health assembly, who are meeting this week in Geneva.
Tedros declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern in the early hours of Sunday morning. On Tuesday he said: “This is the first time a director general has declared a PHEIC before convening an emergency committee. I did not do this lightly … I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”
The WHO will convene its emergency committee on Tuesday to advise what recommendations it should make on how to control the outbreak.
Tedros said reports of cases in urban areas, where the virus typically finds it easier to spread, were also cause for concern.
Cases among health workers indicated potential spread in clinics and hospitals, he said, and there was “significant population movement in the area”, for work and also due to conflict.
The province of Ituri, where most cases have been reported, was “highly insecure”, Ghebreyesus said. “Conflict has intensified since late 2025, and the fighting has escalated significantly over the past two months resulting in civilian deaths. Over 100,000 people have been newly displaced. And in Ebola outbreaks, you know what displacement means.”
Bundibugyo virus, the type of Ebola that is causing the outbreak, has no vaccines or treatments.
Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have been recorded in DRC and Uganda, this is only the third time that the Bundibugyo virus has been detected. Cases have now also been confirmed in Bunia and North Kivu’s rebel-held capital of Goma, as well as Mongbwalu, Butembo, and Nyakunde.
WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ by Ebola outbreak as cases and deaths surge in DRC NYT News Today.
Hence then, the article about who head deeply concerned by ebola outbreak as cases and deaths surge in drc was published today ( ) and is available on NY Times News ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( WHO head ‘deeply concerned’ by Ebola outbreak as cases and deaths surge in DRC )
Also on site :
- Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine
- Un estudio señala que las demoras en Lima durante las elecciones no habrían afectado el resultado en Perú
- 1974 No. 1 Soft Rock Hit, Originally Considered a Throwaway, Ranked One of the 'Greatest Songs of All Time'
