HILTON, N.Y. — Families of people evacuated from Hilton East Assisted Living are facing new challenges as some of the people who lived there are moved even further away.
Eileen Mueller, whose brother Richard Englert was among those evacuated, shared her concerns.
Brean: “And then all of a sudden he gets moved to Buffalo.”
Eileen Mueller, brother moved to facility in Buffalo: “Correct.”
Mueller says her brother who is 78 was moved by the state Health Department to Mary Agnes Manor in Buffalo. Mueller says Englert didn’t qualify for the nursing home bed he had been using since the evacuation on December 29.
Brean: “He was at Hilton East for the better part of two years.”
Mueller: “Yes.”
Brean: “That was his home.”
Mueller: “Uh huh.”
After spending a night at Hilton Schools, Richard was initially relocated to a nursing home on Latta Road in Greece. Mueller, a retired nurse, said he was well cared for there. However, due to his lack of qualification for nursing home care, the state moved him to Buffalo.
Eileen Mueller expressed her frustration with the situation.
“I know hospitals are overcrowded, they’re looking for nursing home beds but he’s also a person too,” said Eileen Mueller.
Brean: “Do you think this is having an impact on his health?”
Eileen Mueller: “Well he’s very depressed about it. He can’t see anybody.”
Another former Hilton East resident was moved to a facility in Niagara County.
Brean: “What would you like to see happen?”
Mueller: “That they not do it anymore and that they send him back. I understand that they probably have to keep him there now that they’ve moved him. But just give thought so other people don’t have to go through this. It’s not just a number on a piece of paper. There’s a person behind that.”
The reopening of Hilton East is delayed due to elevator issues. Officials initially hoped for next week, but now expect a two-week wait. The Hilton fire marshal and the state Health Department must inspect and approve the reopening.
In a statement, the state health department said the following:
“Ensuring the health, safety, and continuity of care for residents remains the Department’s top priority. Following the emergency conditions that required evacuation of the facility, the Department has worked closely with local partners, receiving facilities, and providers to ensure residents were placed in settings that can safely meet their clinical and daily care needs.
While work continues to address building conditions and evaluate readiness for residents to safely return to the facility, the Department remains actively engaged in supporting residents and their families and ensuring safe, appropriate care placements.
Background:
The Department, in conjunction with the local Fire Marshal, will determine when the facility is safe and appropriate for residents to return.
Following reports of water and ice affecting electricity in the facility, residents were evacuated to alternate locations to ensure their immediate safety.
To maintain resident safety and continuity of care, residents were transferred to regional facilities able to safely accommodate their needs based on capacity, clinical needs, and available services.
The Department and local Code Enforcement officials were onsite at Hilton East on February 5 to inspect the facility.
Following that inspection, outstanding safety issues that must be addressed prior to repatriation were identified and shared with facility leadership.”
RELATED STORIES:
Residents have new lodging after over 100 evacuated from Hilton assisted living facility (Dec. 29, 2025) Hilton East Assisted Living Facility leaves damaging aftermath after Sunday’s evacuation (Dec. 29, 2025) News10NBC Investigates: Hilton East employees left unpaid as they work to reopen facility after flood (Jan. 30) News10NBC Investigates: Displaced residents from Hilton East still being charged monthly rent Feb. 6) How to avoid the ‘ick’ factor when choosing a nursing home or assisted living facility (Feb. 9)Families struggle as Hilton East residents are relocated further from home WHEC.com.
Hence then, the article about families struggle as hilton east residents are relocated further from home was published today ( ) and is available on News10NBC ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Families struggle as Hilton East residents are relocated further from home )
Also on site :
- This Terrible New Olympic Event Must Be Exiled From the Games Forever
- TTW Announces Top 50 Nightlife Travel Destinations in the World for 2026
- 'Barbie' Star Shares Emotional Tribute to Eric Dane
