A class-action lawsuit has been filed against NIPSCO, the Indiana power company under fire as thousands have been left without power for weeks following devastating storms earlier this month.
The suit alleges NIPSCO failed to maintain vegetation around power lines, leading to the widespread and long-lasting power outages that have plagued the region.
The suit includes several plaintiffs, including Porter County resident Jack Tipold, who said he was having his teeth extracted when the power went out.
“I was supposed to have my imaging done and my implants made. They lost total power. They didn’t have generators. They couldn’t back it up. They sent me home. I got home to my house. No power. No ice,” Tipold said.
Attorneys who filed the lawsuit said they want to see NIPSCO follow a vegetation management program so such outages don’t happen again. They’re also seeking damages for impacted residents.
NBC Chicago reached out to NIPSCO and its parent company, NISCOURCE, for comment but they have not yet responded.
For its part, NIPSCO’s website states it “regularly” trims trees “to ensure your power is both safe and reliable. Our team of experts carefully and safely trims trees away from power lines to avoid power outages.”
In Indiana, more than 40,000 were still without power as of Friday morning, down from the more than 400,000 reported after the Aug. 11 storms.
NIPSCO officials previously noted that trees played a role in the region’s outages.
“There are vast differences that are system related. The impact that came through, the trees, the infrastructure, the access – that’s the difference,” NISOURCE Executive VP Melody Birmingham said earlier this week.
According to the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, NIPSCO charges the highest rates of any electrical utility in the state.
“All electrical utilities know downed trees and vegetation are the main cause of power outages. They also know some tree species will grow back into power lines in as soon as five years. “But instead of trimming trees proactively on a 5-7 year cycle to prevent foreseeable outages, NIPSCO simply reacts. This needs to change,” Attorney Otto J. Shragal said in a statement.
Hence then, the article about residents seek class action lawsuit against nipsco over power outages in nw indiana was published today ( ) and is available on NBC Chicago ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Residents seek class-action lawsuit against NIPSCO over power outages in NW Indiana )
Also on site :
- Walmart’s Towering 73-Inch Bookcase Has Ample Storage for Enormous Book Collections, Now Nearly 40% Off
- 1971 Hit by The Doors, Originally Disliked by Producer, Ranked Among ‘Greatest American Rock Albums’ of All Time
- Lou Diamond Phillips Details 25-Pound ‘Deep Dive’ Transformation to Play Serial Killer Richard Ramirez
