Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s 'all good' ...Middle East

F1 News - Sport
Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s all good

What began as a potential Mercedes one-two dream at the start of Saturday’s Sprint in Montreal turned into a full-contact scare – the kind that had engineers sweating, strategists flinching, and Toto Wolff reaching for the team radio button more than once.

George Russell and Kimi Antonelli, Mercedes’ rising star pairing, came within inches of turning their intra-team battle in the Canadian Grand Prix Sprint into something far messier than a simple disagreement over racing lines.

    By the end of it, the air was thick with frustration, radio tension, and the unmistakable feeling that two drivers were fighting for the same piece of tarmac with zero intention of yielding.

    But by the time qualifying rolled around, the storm had already started to calm.

    Grass, gravel, and growing tension in Turn 1

    The flashpoint came on lap six. Antonelli, smelling opportunity, launched an ambitious move around the outside of Russell into Turn 1 – a move that would naturally become the inside line for Turn 2.

    Russell, however, was having none of it.

    With neither driver prepared to blink, Antonelli was forced wide and ended up cutting across the grass, emerging furious and convinced he had been squeezed out of a legitimate fight for position.

    What followed was even more chaotic: another attempt at Turn 8 went wrong, dropping the young Italian behind McLaren’s Lando Norris and triggering a frustrated radio exchange that required calm intervention from Toto Wolff.

    For a brief moment, Mercedes’ carefully managed harmony looked like it might unravel. But by the time the helmets came off, so did the tension.

    ‘We had a discussion and we clarified’

    Between the Sprint and qualifying, Mercedes moved quickly to get both drivers in a room and reset expectations. The message was simple: race hard, but don’t cross the invisible line that separates competition from catastrophe.

    Antonelli was first to confirm the situation had been defused:

    "We had a discussion and we clarified and now it’s all good," the Italian said. "We’ve reviewed and we had a chat with Toto and it’s all good now.

    Russell, for his part, echoed the sentiment – but with a measured reminder of the team’s hard boundary.

    "Yeah, as Kimi said, all good. Had a good discussion and we know what we need to do and how we’re going to race each other.

    “And nothing’s going to change because we’ve always had that respect for one another. We’re not going to wave anybody by, doesn’t matter if he’s a competitor or a team-mate.

    "Of course, we know the number one rule is never to crash with your team-mate. That isn’t what happened this morning and we finished first and third and that’s what we’ll continue to try and do."

    It was a classic Mercedes message: freedom to fight, but under strict supervision – and with consequences if things go too far.

    Russell also showed rare sympathy for Antonelli’s fiery reaction over team radio, suggesting the emotional explosion was more human than controversial.

    "If I was in his position and he was in my position, I probably would have reacted the same," Russell acknowledged.

    "Because if something doesn’t pay off in the moment and you feel like you’ve been hard done by, you think the other guy is in the wrong. And that’s just natural. We’re racers, we’re fighters and we wear our heart on our sleeve.

    Read also: Wolff calls Russell-Antonelli spat in Montreal Sprint ‘good cinema’

    "We’re just in this tough position where everything we think and feel is broadcast to the world. We don’t regret anything we say. Of course, maybe you wish you said something different, but we’re here to fight."

    In the end, Mercedes escaped what could have been a far more damaging internal fallout. The Sprint results – first and third – papered over the cracks, but only just.

    The incident exposed the fine line Mercedes must walk in 2026 and beyond: two competitive drivers hungry for wins, but one team desperate to avoid self-inflicted damage in a tightly contested championship fight.

    For now, the message is clear. The gloves may come off in battle, but the respect — and the results — remain intact.

    Keep up to date with all the F1 news via X and Facebook

    Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s 'all good' F1i.com.

    Hence then, the article about mercedes tensions defused russell and antonelli say it s all good was published today ( ) and is available on F1 News ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.

    Read More Details
    Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Mercedes tensions defused - Russell and Antonelli say it’s 'all good' )

    Apple Storegoogle play

    Last updated :

    Also on site :



    Latest News