Southampton have been sensationally thrown out of the play-offs and docked four points for next season after admitting to spying on Middlesbrough and two other Championship rivals.
In a stunning development on Tuesday – just four days before Saturday’s Wembley final – an independent commission expelled the club from the play-offs after they admitted filming training sessions before games against Boro, Ipswich and Oxford.
Middlesbrough have been reinstated to the play-offs and are now just 90 minutes away from the Premier League in an incredible twist.
Southampton’s subterfuge was uncovered in the days before the first leg of the club’s semi-final when an analyst from the Saints was spotted filming training at Middlesbrough’s Rockliffe Hall training base.
A Boro fan mocking the spying incident now has cause for celebration (Photo: Getty)Southampton have the right to appeal and the EFL has said it wants the matter to be resolved by Wednesday. In a statement confirming the decision they warned Saturday’s final could yet be changed again.
Middlesbrough said in a statement they “welcomed” the decision. “We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” they added.
The commission result also has huge ramifications for Hull City, who earned their spot in the play-off final last week and have spoken about feeling like “collateral damage” from Spygate.
The i Paper can reveal that the Tigers – who are privately furious about being pitched into the middle of a situation not of their making – are taking legal advice over the uncertainty around the fixture and could yet mount their own legal action if they believe they are being unfairly treated.
Speaking on Tuesday morning, sporting director Jared Dublin addressed the possibility of the fixture being changed and said: “If that were to happen, we’ll seek our legal guidance and see what we can do.
“The owner (Acun Ilicali) is very vocal about protecting our interests as anyone would be. It’s not just the club, the owner, the players and the staff it’s the city as well and the potential for a big revenue boost for any city that hosts Premier League football.
“We’ll look after our own interests as anyone would.”
Southampton captain Taylor Harwood-Bellis appeared to mock a Middlesbrough player with a binoculars celebration amid allegations that Saints were spying on Boro training before their play-off clash pic.twitter.com/Mie18LQMlQ
— Sky Sports (@SkySports) May 14, 2026It leaves the so-called richest game in football in a state of total confusion and the EFL in the insidious position of having to throw out a club whose supporters have booked tickets and travel to a final they will not now play in.
But it is absolutely the correct decision. Southampton’s spying – and they do not contest breaching the rules – gave them an unfair advantage and the severity of their transgression has been reflected in the punishment.
Read more
Daniel Storey: Rochdale will never know another day like this Mark Douglas: The Hull City cult hero with ‘unfinished business’ in the Premier LeagueWith a written verdict to be published later in the summer, this is likely to be the tip of the iceberg for the south coast club. Huge questions about the involvement of manager Tonda Eckert are sure to follow and there will be conjecture about whether he can hold on to his job after such damaging revelations.
It is a dark, dark day in the club’s history but justice – ultimately – has been done.
Hence then, the article about hull city consider legal action over southampton spygate chaos was published today ( ) and is available on inews ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Hull City consider legal action over Southampton ‘spygate’ chaos )
Also on site :
- Jell-O Just Introduced a Modern New Dessert Line—and It’s Here To Stay
- FIFA’s empire of double standards: Why the 2026 World Cup is already a disaster
- Anita Rani Launching ‘Sisters Of Defiance’ Podcast With Guests Including Gisele Pelicot
