The country’s fuel sector is a multi-player, competitive system developed over years, and not a monopoly, a marketers’ group has said
Nigeria’s leading fuel marketers have pushed back against a lawsuit by Dangote Petroleum Refinery seeking to annul fuel import licenses, warning the legal action could destabilize supply and competition in the country’s downstream sector.
Last week, Dangote filed a lawsuit in the Federal High Court in Lagos against the government, aiming to nullify import licenses issued by the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority (NMDPRA) to independent marketers and the state-owned Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC).
Dangote argues that the permits undermine its operations and violate the Petroleum Industry Act by allowing imports despite its refining capacity.
In response, the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria (DAPPMAN) said the licenses are legal instruments essential to the West African nation’s fuel supply chain.
“These licenses exist to protect supply security, not to disadvantage any single producer,” the association said in a statement on Sunday. Invalidating the permits retroactively could introduce “uncertainty into the entire downstream supply chain at a moment when Nigeria can least afford it,” it added.
READ MORE: Africa’s richest man offers fuel relief
“Nigeria’s fuel market is not a monopoly waiting to happen. It is a competitive, multi-participant market that has taken years to build,” DAPPMAN said, adding that it will engage legal counsel, coordinate with affected member companies, and make formal representations to the relevant authorities.
Read more Beyond Hormuz: This oil giant is plagued by a curseAfrica’s most populous country remains heavily dependent on imported refined petroleum despite being a major crude producer. Earlier court actions by Dangote, including a September 2024 lawsuit challenging similar import permits, were withdrawn last year, leaving unresolved tensions in the sector.
The refinery, Africa’s largest with a 650,000-barrel-per-day capacity, was inaugurated in May 2023 and began commercial operations in 2024. It has been central to the Nigerian government’s efforts to boost domestic refining and reduce import reliance.
READ MORE: Crudely choked: Why must this nation struggle to refine its own oil?
Last month, its owner, Aliko Dangote, said the plant has been ramping up fuel and fertilizer exports to other African markets as supply disruptions linked to the US-Israeli conflict with Iran tighten availability and drive up import costs across the continent.
Hence then, the article about nigeria gripped by legal battle over fuel imports was published today ( ) and is available on Russia Today ( News ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Nigeria gripped by legal battle over fuel imports )
Also on site :
- Ukraine-Russia war latest: Xi reportedly told Trump that Putin might ‘regret’ invading Ukraine
- Dunkin Donuts Is Giving Away 1 Million Free Coffees—Here's How to Claim Yours
- Clarivate Selected By Czech National Library of Technology to Develop Unified National Library Platform