Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome has now officially reached North America following the ongoing outbreak tied to the MV Hondius cruise ship.
On Sunday, May 17, Canadian health officials confirmed that a passenger who traveled aboard the ship tested positive for hantavirus, marking the first confirmed North American case connected to the outbreak.
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, one of four Canadians who returned home from the cruise last week initially received a “presumptive positive” result before additional testing confirmed the infection. "One individual’s sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus," the agency said in a statement.
The patient, who is in their 70s and from Yukon, is currently hospitalized in Victoria alongside another traveler from the ship who tested negative. Officials said all four Canadian passengers are now in isolation.
So far, there have been 10 confirmed or probable cases linked to the cruise, including three deaths. Health officials have emphasized that the situation is very different from the early days of COVID-19, despite inevitable public concern surrounding another quarantine-related outbreak.
READ MORE: Al Roker Asked to Test by CDC After Daughter's Wedding
The outbreak specifically involves the Andes strain of hantavirus, which is notable because it is the only known strain capable of spreading from person to person, though experts say transmission still primarily occurs through close contact.
Meanwhile, American passengers from the cruise continue to be monitored. As of May 14, sixteen travelers were transferred to the National Quarantine Unit in Nebraska, while two others remain under observation at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Roughly 36 additional Americans across several states are also being monitored from home after possible exposure.
According to the CDC, none of the Americans being monitored are currently symptomatic or have tested positive.
Hence then, the article about first case of hantavirus confirmed in north america was published today ( ) and is available on Parade ( Saudi Arabia ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( First Case of Hantavirus Confirmed in North America )
Also on site :
- Sydney Sweeney strips completely naked and covers up with only a SNAKE for raunchy Euphoria scene with co-star Rosalía
- Israel to build IDF compound on site of demolished UN office in Jerusalem
- How ISWAP and Boko Haram are reshaping the Lake Chad Basin
