Syrian Network for Human Rights documents execution of 21 detainees in Kobani ...Syria

ُEnabbaladi - News
Syrian Network for Human Rights documents execution of 21 detainees in Kobani

The Syrian Network for Human Rights, SNHR, documented the killing of 21 detainees by the Syrian Democratic Forces, SDF, in Ain al-Arab, also known as Kobani in northern Aleppo province, between January 19 and 22.

In a report issued on Sunday, February 22, SNHR stated that the detainees were killed extrajudicially inside a detention center in the countryside of Ain al-Arab, which is under SDF control.

    According to the report, the incident occurred following protests over what was described as the unequal implementation of an amnesty. Some detainees reportedly attempted to escape, after which they were pursued and some were killed on the spot.

    Video analysis

    SNHR said it analyzed two circulated video clips showing 21 bodies at the same location. The organization confirmed a clear match between the two clips, indicating they documented the same incident, and suggesting that the nighttime footage was recorded closer to the time of the killings.

    The group’s investigations indicated that gunfire and assaults took place during the escape attempt, followed by sorting operations, arrests, enforced disappearances, and subsequent executions.

    SNHR noted that the SDF acknowledged the authenticity of one of the videos and claimed the dead were government-affiliated fighters. However, SNHR’s documentation and evidence analysis concluded that the victims were civilians killed extrajudicially.

    The report indicated concentrated gunshot wounds to the head from close range, and victims appearing with their hands bound, suggesting field executions of individuals who were detained or otherwise unable to fight.

    It added that geographic features, site analysis, and witness testimonies supported linking the incident to the SDF’s control over the area.

    Verification standards

    SNHR stated that it relied on a multi-source methodology to document the incident, combining technical analysis of visual material, open-source verification, witness testimonies, and a review of both field and legal contexts.

    This included visual, geographic, and temporal analysis of the two video clips and cross-referencing them with available data, in addition to conducting interviews with witnesses and local sources under strict protection protocols.

    The organization said it applied rigorous standards in documenting victims, while clearly indicating cases where verification remained incomplete. Its legal assessment was based on international humanitarian law and international human rights law.

    Report conclusions

    SNHR concluded that the incident constitutes serious violations of international humanitarian law and human rights law, as the detainees were killed extrajudicially and not in the context of active hostilities.

    The evidence, according to the report, indicates the unlawful use of lethal force, including close-range gunfire directed at the heads of individuals unable to defend themselves, constituting a violation of the right to life and Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions.

    The organization said the controlling authority failed to uphold its obligations to protect detainees and that the incident may amount to war crimes given the nature of the conflict.

    SNHR held the SDF directly and command responsible for the violations, stating that the measures announced by the group were insufficient.

    It called for independent and impartial investigations to ensure accountability, protect witnesses, and prevent impunity.

    Photo and statement

    An SDF member stands before the bodies of civilians who had been detained in Kobani, January 2026.

    A photo circulated on January 22 showing an SDF member standing beside unidentified bodies that were initially said to belong to Syrian government forces.

    The SDF Media Center issued a statement on January 24 confirming it was following up on reports that one of its fighters had filmed himself next to armed men killed while repelling what it described as an attack by “Damascus factions” on the village of Khirous, south of Kobani.

    The statement said the fighter was immediately dismissed from the ranks and referred to a military court for legal action, in line with what it described as a commitment to military and ethical values.

    It added that the act was “individual and unacceptable” and does not represent the principles of the SDF, which it said are “known for respecting humanitarian standards and ethical conduct, including respect for the sanctity of the dead.”

    Syrian Network for Human Rights documents execution of 21 detainees in Kobani Enab Baladi.

    Hence then, the article about syrian network for human rights documents execution of 21 detainees in kobani was published today ( ) and is available on ُEnabbaladi ( Syria ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.

    Read More Details
    Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Syrian Network for Human Rights documents execution of 21 detainees in Kobani )

    Apple Storegoogle play

    Last updated :

    Also on site :