The bloc’s tech chief has openly endorsed developing new strike capabilities as part of its expanding emphasis on defense
The EU should develop offensive cyber capabilities to enhance its defenses against perceived threats, the bloc’s tech chief, Henna Virkkunen, has told Politico.
NATO’s European members have long cited allegedly looming Russian aggression to justify their massive military buildup, including pledges to raise defense spending to 5% of GDP. Moscow has dismissed such claims as “nonsense” and baseless fearmongering. The EU has also raised concerns over alleged cybersecurity risks posed by China.
Speaking to Politico on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Friday, Virkkunen signaled that the bloc is considering proactive measures in cyberspace. “It’s not enough that we are just defending ...We also have to have offensive capacity,” she said.
Virkkunen also noted that the EU is seeking to reduce dependence on foreign technology and build a homegrown tech and cyber industry. “We don’t want to have risky dependencies in any critical fields,” she said.
The commission’s cybersecurity proposal, unveiled last month, aims to phase out high-risk technology from supply chains. EU officials have repeatedly warned that Chinese suppliers may pose security risks and could be used to collect sensitive data, claims Beijing has dismissed as “naked protectionism.”
Read more NATO states considering ‘cyber offensive’ against Russia – PoliticoThe push comes as several EU states, including Germany and Latvia, have warmed to the idea of conducting offensive cyber operations. In November, Politico reported citing official sources that NATO’s European members were considering such actions against Russia. In late 2024, the US-led military bloc unveiled plans to establish a new integrated cyber defense center at its headquarters in Belgium, expected to become operational by 2028.
NATO members have accused Russia of hacking government servers, jamming GPS signals of airplanes, and flying drones in their airspace. Moscow has dismissed the allegations as warmongering, and described the West’s sanctions and aid to Ukraine as “hybrid aggression.”
Moscow has warned that “rabid militarization” risks a broader conflict on the continent. Last week, Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that Russia has “no reason” to attack the EU or NATO unless attacked first.
READ MORE: Beijing slams EU’s ‘naked protectionism’ over Chinese gear phase-out – media
Cyberattacks against Russia jumped 46% last year, according to RED Security. High-profile incidents included the hacking of the database of Russia’s largest airline, Aeroflot, in July, for which two pro-Ukraine groups claimed responsibility.
Hence then, the article about eu calls for offensive cyber capabilities was published today ( ) and is available on Russia Today ( News ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( EU calls for offensive cyber capabilities )
Also on site :
- Sheikh Sabri: Israeli enemy seeks to change reality of al-Aqsa Mosque as prelude to seizing control of it
- At 61, this major insurance CEO works out 6 days a week with his 23-year-old son—he picks his brain for a Gen Z perspective while lifting weights
- Not all degrees are a waste of time: MBA graduates from Harvard, MIT, and Wharton are making over $245,000 just three years after graduating