The three adult victims killed in the attack were a mosque security guard and two staff members of the Islamic school located on the center’s grounds, according to authorities. A landscaper working nearby was shot at but was not injured.
Police said the threat had been “neutralized” around 1 p.m. local time Monday afternoon, roughly an hour after they shared that they were responding to reports of an active shooter at the mosque in the Clairemont neighborhood, roughly eight miles north of downtown San Diego.
Law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation told CNN that one of the suspects in the shooting took a firearm from their parents' home and left behind a suicide note containing references to racial pride. Officials also said that hate-related messages were written on one of the weapons used in the attack, though the exact wording has yet to be disclosed.
“We are actively investigating the things that led up to this. Obviously these things don’t typically just happen on a whim, and the information that we knew preceding it is what we’re actively looking into,” Wahl said.
One of the victims, the mosque security guard, played what Wahl described as a “pivotal” role in preventing additional bloodshed.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation, which also responded to the scene, said it is committing all necessary resources to support the investigation.
Imam Taha Hassane, director of the Islamic Center of San Diego, called the attack “outrageous.”
Nearby Sharp Memorial Hospital said it was receiving patients and had activated disaster response procedures in coordination with county officials.
“They’re giving a briefing on it, at the mosque … and it’s a terrible situation,” Trump said during a healthcare event at the White House. “I’ve been given some early updates, but we’re going to be going back and looking at it very strongly.”
The organization also noted that the attack comes amid rising anti-Muslim bias nationwide, citing a record 8,683 complaints of discrimination and Islamophobia reported in 20205.
In a separate statement, Mayor of Los Angeles Karen Bass said she was “outraged and heartbroken” by the violence.
In New York, the NYPD said it was increasing police deployments to mosques “out of an abundance of caution,” though officials said there was no known threat to houses of worship in the city.
The Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement that it is also closely monitoring the situation in San Diego, stating that there are no credible threats in Washington, D.C., and adding that it will keep close watch on religious institutions.
Hence then, the article about what we know about the shooting at the islamic center of san diego was published today ( ) and is available on Time ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( What We Know About the Shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego )
Also on site :