At least 16 people were killed and over 100 wounded after Russia conducted a so called “double tap” strike on a Ukrainian shopping centre.
The attack drew swift condemnation from Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who branded it an “act of barbarism”.
Local officials said at least 23 children were among those wounded in the daytime strike, which took place in Zelensky’s home town of Kryvyi Rih.
What happened?
Ukrainian officials said at least two drones hit Kryvyi Rih’s largest shopping centre on Friday.
In a Telegram post, Zelensky said the strike happened in “two waves”, with the second targeting emergency workers at the scene.
Footage posted online in the wake of the attack appeared to confirm the claim, with video showing a drone slam into the already burning shopping centre.
Regional governor Oleksandr Hanzha posted a photo of the strike’s aftermath, which showed black smoke pouring from what appeared to be an industrial building.
At least 16 people died in the attack and over 130 were injured.
“There are 29 people in serious condition, including five children,” Hanzha said.
In a later update on Saturday, he added nine people, including two children, were missing, fueling fears the death toll could rise further.
How has Ukraine responded?
Zelensky branded the strike an “act of barbarism” and “absolutely cynical and despicable”.
“Attacks like these are nothing less than terrorist acts,” he added.
Ukraine’s President said the country would “definitely respond” to the strike, but did not specify what actions would be taken.
Zelensky branded the strike an “act of barbarism” and “absolutely cynical and despicable”. (Photo: Teresa Suarez / Pool photo via AP)Meanwhile, Kryvyi Rih Mayor Oleksandr Vilkul described Russian attackers as “animals” as he mourned those lost in the strikes.
Ukrainian officials also confirmed rescue workers from four other regions had been urgently deployed to help clear rubble and search for the missing.
Russia’s attack adds to catalogue of war crimes
The shopping centre strike is the latest Russian attack which likely violated international law.
Legal experts say so called “double tap” strikes contravene Geneva Convention statutes prohibiting the targeting of civilians, the wounded, those no longer able to continue fighting, and emergency service workers.
Despite this, evidence suggests Russia has repeatedly used the tactic in Ukraine, in addition to apparently deliberate attacks on civilians and energy infrastructure.
While not technically a breach of the Geneva Convention, Russia has also been credibly accused of employing cluster bombs in its attacks, weapons which were outlawed under a 2010 agreement signed by the UK, US and many European nations.
In addition to condemnation for its military tactics, Russia has also faced global outrage over the mass murder of civilians and prisoners of war in Bucha, torture of captured soldiers and the forced removal of Ukrainian children.
Hence then, the article about inside russia s latest act of barbarism which left 16 dead scores wounded was published today ( ) and is available on inews ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Inside Russia’s latest ‘act of barbarism’ which left 16 dead, scores wounded )
Also on site :
- 1971 Hit by The Doors, Originally Disliked by Producer, Ranked Among ‘Greatest American Rock Albums’ of All Time
- Lou Diamond Phillips Details 25-Pound ‘Deep Dive’ Transformation to Play Serial Killer Richard Ramirez
- Walmart’s Towering 73-Inch Bookcase Has Ample Storage for Enormous Book Collections, Now Nearly 40% Off