The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s return to Britain offers a chance of a wider royal reconciliation but also risks creating rival courts undermining the monarchy, according to insiders.
In the short term it offers the King, who was blindsided when told on Sunday that they were moving back, a stronger chance to rebuild his relationship with Harry and Meghan and his grandchildren, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, without allowing the Sussexes to undertake official royal duties on behalf of the monarch.
But it is unlikely to be welcomed by the Prince and Princess of Wales, who have not spoken to Harry and Meghan for several years and are still in no mood to reconcile, according to friends.
Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, have declined to comment publicly so far on their decision to relocate to Britain but friends said that there were a number of factors behind the move.
The fifth-in-line to the throne has missed his friends and family and the UK, they said, and he wants the children to grow up British and go to school in the UK.
It is no secret that the couple are not fans of Donald Trump and the political instability in the US under his presidency.
However, they appear to have had no fears that Harry’s visa might be cancelled amid a campaign by a right-wing think tank, the Heritage Foundation, to uncover and challenge the basis on which he is allowed to live in California.
‘Harry’s visa is not a factor – nor is tax’
There has also been speculation that they might be running short of money – a claim denied by people close to them – and that there might be some tax advantage for them to return to Britain at this stage.
But a source close to them said: “The decision to move back is not any one thing,” adding that there were “always a number of factors in play”. The same source added: “But Harry’s visa is not a factor, nor is tax.”
The couple’s office, like the British government, refused to say whether there had been a change in their security status. Andy Burnham said funding for the arrangement was a “private matter”.
For the past few years, Harry has insisted that Britain was too dangerous to bring his family back to because they no longer had the automatic right to armed police protection and access to national intelligence.
The King, now 77, will welcome having Harry and his grandchildren closer, according to royal sources (Photo: Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)But last month, even though they were denied police protection and had to rely on their own US-based private security team, Meghan and the children joined Harry on a visit to see relatives, including the King and Queen at Highgrove and Earl Spencer and his family at Althorp, the Spencer ancestral home where Princess Diana is buried.
It seems likely that they also went to check out their new home and where the children will go to school, both of which remain under wraps for the moment. “They did a really good job of finding a school without anything leaking out,” one insider said.
The worldwide interest in the Sussexes and the controversy surrounding them means that their surprise comeback at the end of this month also creates a danger that their often outspoken views, commercial activities and an even higher profile for them in the UK will clash with the Royal Household’s objectives and messaging.
The King, now 77, will welcome having Harry and his grandchildren closer, according to royal sources, but on the face of it there is no prospect of the Sussexes returning to official duties and being half in half out.
Charles and William have long been firm on this point, worrying that family members running businesses and doing deals while undertaking official duties for the state open themselves up to the sort of accusations of abuse of position facing the King’s brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
But it would not be the first major U-turn by Charles. His office previously said he had no intention of marrying Camilla after Princess Diana’s death, no intention of making Camilla his Queen when they did announce plans to wed, and every intention of living in Buckingham Palace when he became King. He has reneged on all those pledges.
Pressure builds on William to mend fences with brother
Harry and Meghan have suggested that they hope one day their two children will play a full part in the Royal Family but the window for them and their children is closing rapidly.
Without a rapprochement with William, there is little prospect of that, according to well-placed sources, and in a further slimmed-down monarchy in the next reign, it is likely that the future working Royal Family will be only William, Kate and their children eventually.
Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, suggested that their decision to return will have left William, 44, “apoplectic” and would add to pressure on him to try to mend fences with his brother.
But it is hard to see them reconciling and that could affect the monarchy in the next reign. “In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts, William’s and Harry’s,” Hunt said.
Harry still has a circle of loyal friends in the UK to turn to but he will need to work hard to mend fences with others close to the family who may have felt betrayed by his actions since leaving Britain six years ago.
He and Meghan, still furious that they were served with a notice of eviction from their Frogmore Cottage home by the King in November 2022 only two months after he acceded to the throne and before the publication of Harry’s memoir Spare, will keep their £11m home in Montecito, California, and a holiday hideaway in Portugal.
But they are now understood to be relocating to a private residence, thought to be outside London and not on a royal estate. Their children are enrolled in school starting next month. Most private schools will be back by the second week of September.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex hold their baby son Archie in 2019 (Photo: HENK KRUGER / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)“The children are too young for boarding these days – seven is the absolute earliest but most parents will, like the Waleses did with Prince George, wait until they are in their final year at prep school before trying them out boarding – so that means they will be living near the children’s school,” one education expert who asked not be named said.
The most likely locations are thought to be the Cotswolds, where Harry and Meghan lived before moving, Northamptonshire close to the Spencers, or one of the other home counties close to London, perhaps Surrey or Buckinghamshire.
There are numerous prep schools available in those areas but if the choice is the Cotswolds, then the two favourites are Beaudesert Park School in the Gloucestershire countryside near Minchinhampton, or Kitebrook Preparatory School at Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.
If their choice is to live in Northamptonshire, the most likely destination for the children is said to be Winchester House School in the market town of Brackley near the border with Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
For now the couple are expected to push on with their filmmaking and other media projects – Meghan has done a deal with a streaming company to show Cookie Queens, her documentary about the Girl Scouts and the couple are working on other projects with Netflix under a “first look” deal that replaced a more lucrative contract.
She will continue promoting her As Ever brand of lifestyle products. For Harry, the focus has always been on his charity work.
But it is not clear yet whether he will carry on working for US-based employers such as the mental health and life coaching company BetterUp, where he is chief impact officer.
Hence then, the article about inside harry and meghan s explosive return to uk and what happens next was published today ( ) and is available on inews ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Inside Harry and Meghan’s explosive return to UK – and what happens next )
Also on site :
- Bessent’s $4 billion bond plan is like ‘rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic given the U.S. national debt of $40 trillion,’ ING says
- Walmart’s Rustic 5-Tier Bookcase Brimming With Farmhouse Charm Is Perfect for Book Lovers and Plant Parents
- 1990 No. 1 Garth Brooks Hit, Reimagined by a Rising Star, Ranked Among the ‘Greatest Country Songs of All Time’