How GCSE students could get into first choice sixth form – even if you miss top grades ...Middle East

News by : (inews) -

More GCSE pupils could get into their first choice of sixth form or further education college this year – even if they get lower grades.

Some oversubscribed colleges will be able to accept more students because the Government announced additional funding for places earlier this week, according to the sector.

In previous years, colleges could request funding for extra places but risked not receiving any and only finding out late into the academic year.

Oversubscribed colleges typically need students to meet high grade requirements in their overall GCSEs and their chosen subjects – but the changes mean it could be easier for students to get in this year.

The funding increase, which comes ahead of GCSE results on Thursday, was made as part of Andy Burnham’s effort to reduce the number of young people who are not in education, employment or training (NEET).

The number of applicants to school sixth forms, sixth form colleges and further education colleges has been increasing in recent years because of population growth, fuelling competition between pupils.

Bill Watkin, chief executive of the Sixth Form Colleges Association, told The i Paper it was possible that more young people would get into their first choice of sixth form college.

“Where in the past colleges might have been reluctant to take a bit of a risk and take more students than they are funded for, they now will be inclined to take more students because they’re confident that the funding is coming,” he said.

Growing numbers of students going to colleges

He said overall acceptance numbers into sixth form colleges are expected to increase, and some colleges will be able to take in even more students in 2027/28 because the Government is giving them money to expand classrooms and facilities.

Watkin said more pupils are choosing sixth form colleges because they are bigger than school sixth forms and offer more subject choices.

Claire Green, a specialist in post-16 and skills policy at the Association of School and College Leaders, welcomed the funding increase, adding: “In terms of whether it will increase first choice admissions, I think to some extent yes, it will.”

She said this was more likely to be the case at sixth form and FE colleges than schools, which have smaller sixth form cohorts.

David Hughes, chief executive of the Association of Colleges, said FE colleges could accept pupils at a “record number in recent history” following at least four years of growing cohorts.

Colleges have boomed due to an increase in technical education, with more students taking T-levels – an alternative to A-levels which mix in classroom learning with on-the-job training.

Almost 20,000 students received those qualifications last week.

Hughes said colleges could take in more than 25,000 extra students this year, with some growing their cohort by 300 to 600, which would help reduce the number of NEETs.

“Colleges disproportionately take young people with really not very good GCSE results,” he said. “It’s much more likely to help the young people who really were disillusioned and disengaged with school, maybe had poor attendance, who really need re-motivating and inspiring.

“They often are inspired and motivated in college when they get involved in technical learning with real-world skills connected to jobs.”

An estimated 13.5 per cent of young people aged 16 to 24 are NEET, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The number has reached more than one million and is at its highest level in 12 years.

The Department for Education said it wants to “ensure a place is available in post-16 education for every young person that wants one”.

Hence then, the article about how gcse students could get into first choice sixth form even if you miss top grades was published today ( ) and is available on inews ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.

Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( How GCSE students could get into first choice sixth form – even if you miss top grades )

Last updated :

Also on site :

Most Viewed News
جديد الاخبار