The confidential documents were published in response to a “humble address” requested by a British lawmaker in February, after Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
The files unearthed years-old correspondence between Andrew and Epstein, and spawned allegations that Andrew, while serving as trade envoy, shared confidential government reports with Epstein, detailing trips to Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and Vietnam in 2010 and 2011.
Another email from "The Duke" to Epstein appeared to detail an investment opportunity in Afghanistan.
TIME has approached his representatives for comment.
Andrew was accused of sexual abuse by one of Epstein’s victims, the late Virginia Giuffre. He has repeatedly denied the allegations. In 2022, Andrew settled a sexual abuse lawsuit with Giuffre for an undisclosed amount.
Mandelson was also arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office earlier this year.
“We have redacted documents to remove the bare minimum of personal information and information whose release would prejudice international relations,” he said. “We have consulted the police to ensure that the release of information does not prejudice their investigation.
Here are five key takeaways from the files relating to how Andrew came to serve as the U.K. trade envoy.
Addressing the Trade Secretary and Foreign Secretary, the author of the memo David Wright, then-chief executive of British Trade International, said he had spoken with the Queen’s private secretary regarding the withdrawal of the Duke of Kent [the Queen’s cousin, Prince Edward] as the trade envoy.
"The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests,” Wright continued in the February 2000 memo. "No other member of the royal family would be available to succeed the Duke of Kent. The Duke of York's adoption of his role would seem a natural fit."
When contacted by TIME, Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the documents.
Guidance suggested Andrew’s profile required “careful and sometimes strict media management”
“Media coverage of events involving HRH [His Royal Highness] has significant potential benefits for the organisation and U.K. business interests as a whole,” read the telegram, insisting that any proposals for Andew’s media engagements “should contain the outline of a media strategy, which will need to be developed in co-ordination with BTI and the Palace.”
In response to a question “about the reputed 100k demand for office expenses,” the following answer was given:
The document was filed as “Media Q&A for Duke of York role announcement.”
Andrew preferred visits to “sophisticated countries,” according to letter
In a letter penned by British diplomat Kathryn Colvin dated Jan. 25, 2000, it’s noted that Andrew would like to focus on projects related to “high-tech matters, trade, youth.” Regarding cultural events, his preference for ballet over theater was relayed.
According to Colvin’s letter, she gained an understanding of these preferences from Andrew’s then-private secretary, Neil Blair, referred to as “Captain Blair.”
No evidence that Andrew was formally vetted for role, says minister
In a statement published alongside the release of documents, Trade Minister Bryant said his department had “found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken,” when Andrew was appointed as the special trade envoy.
Lawmakers have raised issue with the lack of vetting, with some pushing for more information to be released.
Conservative lawmaker Harriet Baldwin queried if the “absence of a formal record of due diligence or any vetting process” is evidence that the “government raised no questions” at the time about the appointment.
In response, Bryant said: “I have published everything that relates to that period. There is nothing else, I think, to be found. The statements that say ministers were content is the sum total of the response.”
He went on to argue that the response was likely understandable, to some degree, “bearing in mind that the palace had made it very clear that her late Majesty was very keen that Andrew be given a job, that Andrew was keen to take on the job, and that the job had previously been done by another member of the royal family in broadly the same terms.”
Hence then, the article about five things we learned from the u k government s release of files related to former prince andrew was published today ( ) and is available on Time ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Five Things We Learned From the U.K. Government’s Release of Files Related to Former Prince Andrew )
Also on site :