Trump Officials Decline to Rule Out DOJ Payouts to Jan. 6 Rioters Who Assaulted Police ...Middle East

News by : (Time) -
Vice President JD Vance takes questions from reporters in the Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House on May 19, 2026. —Heather Diehl—Getty Images

Vice President J.D. Vance said the Administration would evaluate applications for compensation from defendants tied to the Jan. 6, 2021 siege on the U.S. Capitol on a “case-by-case basis,” even when pressed repeatedly at a White House briefing about people who were previously convicted of attacking law enforcement officers during the riot.

He added that “we’re not trying to give money to anybody who attacked a police officer” but his willingness to entertain such claims marked another step in the Administration’s effort to rehabilitate the image of the Jan. 6 rioters. “We’re trying to compensate people where the book was thrown at them, they were mistreated by the legal system,” he said.

The comments underscored how the Trump Administration has sought to reframe the largest criminal investigation in Justice Department history under the Biden Administration as a symbol of political persecution. The rioters themselves, including some convicted of brutal assaults on police officers, have been recast in the President’s rhetoric as patriots, political prisoners, and victims of a corrupt system.

More than 600 defendants were accused of assaulting or impeding law enforcement officers during the riot, and nearly 175 were accused of using dangerous or deadly weapons.

Even before Tuesday’s briefing, Vance had sent mixed signals about how he viewed violent Jan. 6 offenders. Before Trump issued his blanket clemency to the rioters in 2025, Vance said that anyone who assaulted a police officer on Jan. 6 “obviously” should not receive a pardon.

Now, as vice president, Vance is declining to foreclose the possibility that some of those same defendants could receive taxpayer-funded compensation.

The new fund—formally called the “Anti-Weaponization Fund”—was announced Monday as part of an agreement resolving Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns. The Administration says the money is intended to compensate people who suffered from “weaponization and lawfare” by the federal government and to provide financial settlements or formal apologies.

Blanche, who previously served as one of Trump’s personal defense lawyers, said the fund was necessary because “the machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American.”

Critics have also pointed to the unusual structure of the settlement itself. By dropping his lawsuit against the IRS, Trump avoided judicial review of a formal settlement agreement and instead negotiated with officials in an administration he now controls. The fund will be overseen by a five-member commission appointed by Blanche, though the members can be removed by Trump.

The Justice Department has yet to release detailed standards governing who qualifies for compensation or how claims will be evaluated.

Hence then, the article about trump officials decline to rule out doj payouts to jan 6 rioters who assaulted police was published today ( ) and is available on Time ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.

Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Trump Officials Decline to Rule Out DOJ Payouts to Jan. 6 Rioters Who Assaulted Police )

Last updated :

Also on site :

Most Viewed News
جديد الاخبار