TEMPE — One and … not quite done.
Dodgers right-hander Yoshinobu Yamamoto took the mound for the Cactus League opener on Saturday. Leading up to the game, manager Dave Roberts had said Yamamoto was expected to make just one start for the Dodgers before leaving to join Team Japan for the World Baseball Classic some time next week.
This came as news to Yamamoto when Roberts pulled him from the game in the second inning Saturday.
“When I was coming out of the game, Doc came to the mound, and he said, ‘Good luck in the WBC,’” Yamamoto said through his interpreter. “But actually I have one more game to pitch.”
Yamamoto said he expects to pitch “probably” Friday against the San Francisco Giants.
“Oh, is he? That’s good to know,” Roberts said with a laugh when told of Yamamoto’s postgame remarks. “I was kind of in-between (on whether he would start again) so I didn’t want to say. It’s good he confirmed that.”
Yamamoto threw 30 pitches against the Angels on Saturday, retiring the side and striking out two in the first inning. But a dropped fly ball by Teoscar Hernandez and three hits led to two runs in the second inning and Roberts pulled Yamamoto after 30 pitches.
“I was looking for some stuff I needed to get back before I go back to Japan and join the team,” Yamamoto said. “I was looking forward to the feeling, the delivery and those things.
“Yesterday’s practice, I was already feeling good. And then somehow I was able to carry that into today’s game, especially the first inning. I think I was great, but due to the gap between innings, that affected me a little bit.”
The Dodgers sent 11 batters to the plate in a 30-minute top of the second – giving Yamamoto a break that seemed longer than the one he had between Games 6 and 7 of the World Series last year.
Saturday’s start came a short 111 days after that Game 7. Yamamoto laughed off the idea of skipping the WBC to compensate for that short offseason. The Dodgers, for their part, have had conversations with Yamamoto and Team Japan officials about how much they feel comfortable with Yamamoto pitching in the international competition.
Roberts said the team is confident that Yamamoto’s preparation and unique workout regimen will prevent any effects from the WBC impacting his season.
“I’m confident because there’s no exact science on ramping up early and success or being methodical and not participating to result in success during the season,” Roberts said. “There’s just no exact science. I think for me and for all of us, you’re just believing in the player, knowing that he knows what it takes to get ready for a season. He takes care of himself. I think for me it’s an easy way to think and wrap my head around, just kind of believing in him. I trust him.”
2B DETERMINED
Second base is the only position in the Dodgers’ everyday lineup that is up for grabs this spring. Roberts said Saturday that there is “not really” any more clarity about who will get the largest share of playing time there until Tommy Edman recovers from his offseason ankle surgery.
Hyeseong Kim got the first start there Saturday against the Angels and drove in three runs with two singles. Alex Freeland, who played shortstop in Saturday’s game, and Miguel Rojas “are probably at the top” of the depth chart with recently signed Santiago Espinal also “in the mix,” according to Roberts. Espinal can play all over the infield and the corner outfield spots if needed – “we’ve had a lot of those Swiss Army knife-type players and he fits that mold,” Roberts said of Espinal.
The second-base job is “an open competition,” Roberts said, among those four players. But one player might not “win the job” this spring.
“I think they all do certain things well,” he said. “I wouldn’t say ‘Win the job.’ But I think it’s just competing for more at-bats and I don’t know how that’s going to look once we get to late March.”
ROSTER MOVE
The Dodgers claimed outfielder Jack Suwinski on waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates, who designated him for assignment earlier this week when they signed free agent Marcell Ozuna.
Suwinski, 27, hit 45 home runs in his first two seasons with the Pirates but dropped off after that and spent most of last season in the minors. He has a .199 career average in parts of four seasons with the Pirates – but that is not the player the Dodgers are claiming. They want the one they faced. Suwinski has batted .314 with five home runs and a 1.083 OPS in 15 career games against the Dodgers.
In order to clear a roster spot for Suwinski, Kiké Hernandez was moved to the 60-day injured list. Hernandez underwent major surgery on his left elbow in November and is not expected to play until midseason.
ALSO
Roberts said Ohtani will not be in the lineup for Sunday’s game against the San Diego Padres. Ohtani is scheduled to throw to hitters during the Dodgers’ workout instead. It will be his second time facing hitters in live batting practice since camp opened.
Related Articles
Dodgers’ bullpen could get a boost from 3 veteran relievers Freddie Freeman can see the finish line – and hopes it’s with the Dodgers Reliever Evan Phillips ‘glad to be back in Dodger blue’ Dodgers’ Teoscar Hernandez slimmer and ready to return to left field Alexander: Readers submit their favorite SoCal sports momentsHence then, the article about dodgers yoshinobu yamamoto makes first of two starts before leaving for wbc was published today ( ) and is available on The Orange County Register ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Dodgers’ Yoshinobu Yamamoto makes first of two starts before leaving for WBC )
Also on site :