It was a Minions controversy heard round the world, and now it will be a Minions skate on the global stage as Tomas-Llorenc Guarino Sabate finally performs his fan favorite figure skating short program at the Winter Olympics.
Sabate had been performing the fan-favorite program all season long, but when he got to the Olympics, things took an unexpected turn.
Here’s an explanation of what happened:
What sparked the Minions skate controversy?
Sabate had been skating to the same music all season, thinking he had the proper approval through a system called ClicknClear to use four cuts of Minions music. Last week, Universal Studios asked for him to provide more details on the music he was using and the Minions-inspired outfit that he had been wearing.
He was able to quickly get approval for two cuts of music, and Sabate obtained a third by reaching out directly to the artist, a fellow Spaniard. The hold up was the song “Freedom” by the American musician and producer Pharrell Williams.
At one point, Sabate’s situation had grown so dire that he began practicing his Bee Gee-inspired short program from last year. But as news of his plight came out, and he began to get approval for some of the music, his hopes of performing Minions began to grow.
The final approval came Friday, about two hours before the Olympic figure skating program opened with the team event.
Sabate obtained the final approval he needed for his music, allowing the Spanish figure skater to perform his short program — set to a medley from the animated comedy from Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment.
“I’m so happy to announce that we’ve done it! We’ve secured the licenses for all four songs, and I’ll be able to skate the Minions at the Olympic Games,” Sabate wrote on social media. “It hasn’t been an easy process, but the support of everyone who has followed my case has been key to keeping me motivated and optimistic these past few days.”
“I want to thank ClickClear and the RFEDH, as well as Universal Pictures, Pharrell Williams, Sony Music and Juan Alcaraz for managing the rights in such a short time so I can perform my program in Milan,” Sabate said.
The 26-year-old Sabate is not considered a medal contender at the Olympics; he was 20th at the world championships last year. But after the past week, he figures to have plenty of support when he brings the Minions with him this week.
“Right now, I just want to give my all on the ice and perform a program worthy of the love I’ve received from around the world,” Sabate said. “I’m thrilled by the love that a small skater from a small federation has received.”
What’s the deal with figure skating music?
The copyright issue has become a big problem in figure skating, where for years skaters could only use music without words, usually considered part of the public domain. But when the rules changed in 2014, and more modern music began to be used in competition, some artists began to object to their work being used without the proper permission.
Figure skaters are required to obtain permission for the music they use, but that process is hardly straightforward.
Sometimes the label or record producer owns the copyright, other times the artist themselves, and often there are multiple parties involved. Skaters sometimes will piece together different cuts of music, too. Throw in third-party companies such as ClicknClear that try to smooth out the permission process, and the entire copyright issue becomes murky and nuanced.
The ISU and national governing bodies have spent the past four years trying to develop systems to help skaters obtain permission to use music. But the process remains confusing and nebulous.
U.S. Figure Skating has been working with ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, along with BMI, or Broadcast Music Inc., to help ensure that its skaters have no problems with their music choices.
But ultimately, it’s up to the skaters.
What other skaters are facing issues?
U.S. star Amber Glenn became one of the most recent skaters to face an issue with her music.
Canadian artist Seb McKinnon, who produces music under the name CLANN, took to social media late Sunday to object to the use of his song “The Return,” which Glenn had used in her free skate — and has been using for the past two years without issue.
“So just found out an Olympic figure skater used one of my songs without permission for their routine. It aired all over the world … what? Is that usual practice for the Olympics?” McKinnon posted to X, shortly after the team competition had ended.
By Monday, the tweet had gone viral, with more than 13.3 million views.
According to McKinnon, “The deal I have with my label is that I alone can give the OK to license my music.” McKinnon later said that he’d be looking into the situation, but did congratulate Glenn: “And plus she won Gold??? Huge congratz,” he posted.
Glenn was not available for comment on the music issue Monday. Previously, she called her experience in getting music approved “pure chaos.”
“First we get a website or some sort of application to track things. And then once we’re like, ‘OK, yeah, it’s cleared. It’s good,’ then it’s not a reliable source anymore,” Glenn told the AP. “OK, then what do we do? And especially as an athlete, this is not something that we should be worrying about. That’s not my job. My job is to train and perform.
Hence then, the article about minion skater to take the ice at winter olympics tuesday the controversy explained was published today ( ) and is available on NBC Chicago ( Middle East ) The editorial team at PressBee has edited and verified it, and it may have been modified, fully republished, or quoted. You can read and follow the updates of this news or article from its original source.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( ‘Minion skater' to take the ice at Winter Olympics Tuesday. The controversy explained )
Also on site :
- Sheikh Sabri: Israeli enemy seeks to change reality of al-Aqsa Mosque as prelude to seizing control of it
- Putin has always been ‘straight with me’ – Witkoff
- At 61, this major insurance CEO works out 6 days a week with his 23-year-old son—he picks his brain for a Gen Z perspective while lifting weights